Pitta: Human Nature’s Transformation
Pitta means to transform. It is literally the fire that transforms everything in the body/vital/mind. On earth Pitta expresses through the elements of fire and water.
Pitta provides the following functions:
- Metabolism - at all the various levels
from digestion of food to transformation of all other material
- Thermogenesis - maintains the proper body temperature
- Vision - converts external images into optic nerve impulses
- Appetite - the feeling of hunger and thirst
- Comprehension - of information into knowledge, also reasoning and judgment
- Courage and Braveness - to face the situation
- Complexion - gives color and softness to skin
The primary seat or location of the Pitta in the body is the small intestines.
Psychologically, Pitta possess have a good power of comprehension; they have a sharp intelligence and tend to be good orators. They can be judgmental, critical, demand perfection, and tend to become easily angry.
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Pitta body type.
- Medium physique, strong, well-built
- Sharp mind, good concentration powers
- Orderly, focused
- Assertive, self-confident, and entrepreneurial at their best, aggressive, demanding, pushy when out of balance
- Competitive, enjoy challenges
- Strong digestion, strong appetite; get irritated if they have to miss or wait for a meal
- Like to be in command
- When under stress, Pittas become irritated and angry
- Skin fair or reddish, often with freckles; sunburns easily
- Hair usually fine and straight, tending toward blond or red, typically turns gray early, tendency toward baldness or thinning hair
- Uncomfortable in sun or hot weather; heat makes them very tire and perspire a lot
- Good public speakers; also capable of sharp, sarcastic, cutting speech
- Generally good management and leadership ability, but can become authoritarian, stubborn, pushy or opinionated
- Like to spend money, surround themselves with beautiful objects
- Subject to temper tantrums, impatience, and anger
If we are more connected to the pitta dosha we have the qualities of intensity, liquidity, and sharpness.
The sun of Infinity’s Light
Is inside my heart.
I must bring it to the fore
For the transformation of the world.
- Sri Chinmoy
Learn more about