Kapha: Human Nature’s Oneness
Kapha allows us to connect, harmonise, balance, solidify and stabilise. Kapha makes us feel stable, held, content and connected to humanity. We are all held in the loving oneness of Kapha. Kapha uses the elements earth and water to gain cohesion and embrace and hold life.
Kapha is the heaviest of the three doshas and helps to counterbalance Vata's movement and Pitta's transformation. It is said that if there were no Kapha, everything would be reduced to ashes blowing in the wind.
Kapha provides the following functions:
- Strength - to perform physical tasks
- Moistness and Lubrication - to prevent excessive friction from occurring between the various parts of the body
- Stability - to add the necessary grounding aspect to both mind and body
- Mass and Structure - to provide fullness to bodily tissues
- Fertility and Virility - to produce healthy offspring
The seat of kapha is in the stomach.
Psychologically, Kapha is responsible for the emotions and tendencies of calmness, forgiveness, and love. However when imbalanced this can lead to attachment, greed, and envy.
Here are some of the common characteristics of people who have a predominantly Kapha constitution.
- Easy-going, relaxed, slow-paced
- Affectionate and loving
- Forgiving, compassionate, nonjudgmental nature
- Stable and reliable, faithful
- Physically strong and with a sturdy, heavier build
- Have the most energy of all constitutions, but it is steady and enduring, not explosive
- Slow moving and graceful
- Slow speech, reflecting a deliberate thought process
- Slower to learn, but never forgets, outstanding long-term memory
- Soft hair and skin; tendency to have large "soft" eyes and a low, soft voice
- Tend toward being overweight, may also suffer from sluggish digestion
- Maybe prone to heavy, oppressive depressions
- More self-sufficient, need less outward stimulation than do the other types
- A mild, gentle, and essentially undemanding approach to life
- Excellent health, strong resistance to disease
- Slow to anger, strive to maintain harmony and peace in their surroundings. Not easily upset and can be a point of stability for others
- Tend to be possessive and hold on to things, people, money, good savers
- Does not like cold, damp weather
If we are more connected to the kappa dosha we have the qualities of stability, solidity and smoothness.
The wisdom of a oneness-heart
Sweeter than the sweetest honey.
- Sri Chinmoy
Learn more about